Māori History: A Captivating Guide to the History of the Indigenous Polynesian People of New Zealand
- Autor: Captivating History
- Narrador: Jason Zenobia
- Editor: Captivating History
- Duración: 4:07:49
Have you ever asked yourself who exactly are the Māori, the indigenous people of New Zealand? Find your answer in this guide about Māori history!
Through this audiobook, you’ll follow the voyages of ancient Polynesians who arrived on the shores of New Zealand. These early Polynesian settlers eventually transformed into the unique Māori civilization.
After falling into prolonged isolation, the Māori people developed their own distinctive culture and lifestyle, feeling they were the only humans in the whole universe. Yet, the solitude was slowly breached by European explorers, who were seeking new lands to trade with and conquer. What followed was a period of peaceful cooperation in which the Western visitors showed respect to the Māori.
This guide will then lead you through the times of rising tensions, sparking conflicts between the European settlers and the Māori. However, their struggle wasn’t limited only to armed conflicts but also epidemics and cultural invasion, making their future ultimately uncertain.
Despite that, the Māori miraculously managed to persevere through their stubbornness and adaptivity, using politics to preserve their civilization and future.
Here are some of the captivating facts you’ll find in this audiobook:
- The origins of the Māori people.
- How the Māori civilization developed in seclusion from the rest of the world.
- What Māori life was like before European contact.
- How and when the Māori isolation period ended.
- How the European presence changed the Māori civilization.
- Why the Māori-European relations soured.
- The Māori heroes in the struggles against the colonial settlers.
- What happened during the New Zealand Wars.
- How the Māori survived the European challenges.
Scroll up and click the “add to cart” button to learn more about the Māori people and why it matters!
Opening CreditsDuración: 16s
Chapter 1 – Across the Ocean to the Land of the Long White CloudDuración: 31min
Chapter 2 – From an Interconnected World to Extended IsolationDuración: 38min
Chapter 3 – Early Contact with the EuropeansDuración: 30min
Chapter 4 – Turbulences, Wars, and ColonizationDuración: 30min
Chapter 5 – Struggle for Identity and SovereigntyDuración: 35min
Chapter 6 – Rising up from the BottomDuración: 34min
Chapter 7 – Māori CivilizationDuración: 40min
Ending CreditsDuración: 25s